The construction industry is witnessing a significant trend in the adoption of tablet devices to enhance workflows and overall efficiency. While many may initially think of commercialized products like the iPad or Microsoft Surface when considering tablets, there are several critical factors that construction industry professionals need to take into account when selecting the ideal tablet for their operations. This article explores these factors in detail to help construction industry members make informed decisions.
Factors to Consider
When choosing a tablet for construction applications, it’s essential to consider the following factors:
1. Operating Temperature
- Ensure that the tablet can operate effectively in a wide range of temperatures commonly encountered in the field.
2. Storage Temperature
- Consider where the tablet will be stored, including potential extremes in the trunk of a vehicle during hot summers and cold winters.
3. IP Rating (Ingress Protection)
- Check the tablet’s IP rating, which indicates its resistance to solid objects like dust and liquids such as water—common hazards in construction environments.
4. Commercial Drop Specifications
- Evaluate how well the tablet can withstand drops without sustaining damage, instilling confidence in users that it can endure the rigors of the construction industry.
5. Outdoor Viewable Screen
- An outdoor-readable screen is crucial for construction workers, enabling them to remain efficient when working outside of typical indoor environments.
6. Gorilla® Glass
- Explore the benefits of Corning’s Gorilla Glass, a protective screen technology that enhances screen durability. (Learn more about Gorilla® Glass at Corning’s website.)
Choosing the right tablet for construction industry applications is not a one-size-fits-all decision. Each of the factors mentioned above plays a crucial role in ensuring that the chosen tablet can withstand the challenging conditions of the construction environment. By carefully considering these factors, construction professionals can make informed choices to improve efficiency and productivity in their operations.
In summary, the construction industry’s shift towards tablet adoption demands a thoughtful selection process to meet the industry’s specific needs. Tablets are not just consumer devices; they are robust tools that can thrive in tough conditions when chosen wisely.